"Men always talk about the most important things to perfect strangers. In the perfect stranger we perceive man himself; the image of a God is not disguised by resemblances to an uncle or doubts of wisdom of a mustache." GK Chesterton
I invite you to share your stories here, to tell about moments of compassion that made a difference to you or others, whether from a fellow human being, an animal, or even an insight received from a moment in nature.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Warning: this is not a story of compassion, but it is a story that moves me to encourage and celebrate compassionate acts.

Guran Avium. It is a name I can’t forget. It is the name of a five year old boy who was shot in the back in Darfur in October 2007, as he attempted to flee from a band of troops and militiamen who dragged several men praying from a mosque and killed them. The Sudanese government denied the acts were carried out by their troops. A tribal elder said Guran Avium was the youngest of a group of children who tried to flee, and who were shot by the troops. For days, I couldn’t get the image out of my mind of a five year old boy shot in the back as he tried to run away. “We can’t live in this kind of world,” I thought. And yet, this is the kind of world we live in. I vowed not to forget the boy, but it hardly seemed enough. What would it matter? I kept thinking about how we have the world we create, in terms of human society. We are creating the world every day, by our acts, one act at a time, and if we create systems of injustice and violence, that will be our world, and if we create systems of justice and compassion, that will be our world. I felt helpless when I read the story of this boy, but I decided I am not helpless; we are not helpless to start making a difference, however small and seemingly insignificant. One act at a time: as individuals and as communities, we have that potential, to begin creating the world we want.

Kathryn

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment